Collaboration offices – funded by a grant from the Administration for Child and Families – create a visible presence for Head Start at the state level and assist in the development of multi-agency and public-private partnerships among Head Start and other interested stakeholders.
The CHSSCO works closely with:
- Head Start California
- Administration of Child and Families Regional Office
- The Office of Head Start and the Child Care Bureau
- Head Start technical assistance providers
- CDE – Early Education Services Department, other state departments and other organizations and agencies in the child care and development community
To learn more about the CHSSCO office, visit the website
Desired Results Developmental Profile (DRDP)
New video tutorial now available: Watch it now!
Recorded in April 2019, this 30-minute video will help answer some common questions about the DRDP, including site functionality, the current status of the tool, and what is coming next. Developed and presented by Tamarra Osborne from West Ed, in partnership with Stephanie Myers from the Head Start State Collaboration Office.
Preschool Development Grant
The California Department of Education was awarded a Preschool Development Grant Birth through Five (PDG) from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Learn more here. The process involves gathering data will rely on several reports that have been produced. They include:
- Blue Ribbon Commission Report (April, 2019) Head Start California has published a summary of BRC Recommendations involving Head Start.
- Building California’s Future: Tackling the Facilities Challenge for Our Youngest Learners (Advancement Project 2019)
- Getting Down to Facts II (2018) See page 13: “Limited Access to High-Quality Early Education”
WestEd is working this summer to collect input for the Preschool Development Grant from the field in a variety of venues. Those dates will be posted here as they become available.
The meetings of the California State Advisory Council on Early Learning and Care (SAC) is the venue where progress on the process will be shared, with opportunity for comment / input.
A draft of the PDG Strategic Plan will be ready in early September. We invite you to attend the sessions listed below to learn more and offer feedback that will contribute to finalizing the draft to be submitted to the federal Office of Child Care, Administration for Children and Families.
Thursday, September 5, 2019
East End Complex
1500 Capitol Ave.,
Sacramento, CA 95814
Training Rooms B&C
Friday, September 6, 2019
Details will be sent upon registration
Register for the virtual or in-person session here
California Child Care Licensing
Videos for Parents and Providers – This website includes videos that explain licensing topics relevant to families and licensed child care providers.
Resources for CCL Analysts:
- Head Start Program Performance Standards
- Head Start Agencies – HS & EHS by county – EHS by county – HS by county
- Map of Head Start Programs
- Requirement & Regulation Side by Side
- Webinar: Supporting County Home Visiting – The Early Head Start Opportunity
- For CCL Analysts, an Overview of Head Start, provided by CHSSCO
Resources for Head Start programs with State Contracts
- The 2018-19 State Budget – An online digital and interactive budget summary
- 12-Month Eligibility Implementation Guidance (Mgmt Bulletin 17-14)
The Head Start California/CHSSCO Partnership
Head Start California has a strong and collaborative relationship with the CHSSCO coordinating efforts to support Head Start programs in California:
- Solicit and collect information from Head Start agencies regarding their needs and challenges
- Disseminate information important to Head Start Programs
- Partner with Department of Social Services – Community Care Licensing to identify strengths and resolve licensing concerns that affect Head Start programs.
Contact the CHSSCO
Stephanie Myers, Director
Head Start State Collaboration Office
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3410
Sacramento, CA 95814
E-mail: smyers- at-cde.ca.gov