Collaboration offices – funded by a grant from the Administration for Child and Families – create a visible presence for Head Start at the state level and assist in the development of multi-agency and public-private partnerships among Head Start and other interested stakeholders.
The CHSSCO works closely with:
- Head Start California
- Administration of Child and Families Regional Office
- The Office of Head Start and the Child Care Bureau
- Head Start technical assistance providers
- CDE – Early Education Services Department, other state departments and other organizations and agencies in the child care and development community
To learn more about the CHSSCO office, visit the website
Preschool Development Grant
The California Department of Education was awarded a Preschool Development Grant Birth through Five (PDG) from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Learn more here. The process involves gathering data will rely on several reports that have been produced. They include:
- Blue Ribbon Commission Report (April, 2019) Head Start California has published a summary of BRC Recommendations involving Head Start.
- Building California’s Future: Tackling the Facilities Challenge for Our Youngest Learners (Advancement Project 2019)
- Getting Down to Facts II (2018) See page 13: “Limited Access to High-Quality Early Education”
WestEd is working this summer to collect input for the Preschool Development Grant from the field in a variety of venues. Those dates will be posted here as they become available.
The meetings of the California State Advisory Council on Early Learning and Care (SAC) is the venue where progress on the process will be shared, with opportunity for comment / input.
The next SAC meeting is July 2, 2019
These are usually held at:
California Department of Social Services
744 P Street, Auditorium, Room 205
On August 21, 2019, a preliminary report is expected.
Resources for CCL Analysts
- Head Start Program Performance Standards
- Head Start Agencies – HS & EHS by county – EHS by county – HS by county
- Map of Head Start Programs
- Requirement & Regulation Side by Side
- Webinar: Supporting County Home Visiting – The Early Head Start Opportunity
- For CCL Analysts, an Overview of Head Start, provided by CHSSCO
Resources for Head Start programs with State Contracts
- The 2018-19 State Budget – An online digital and interactive budget summary
- 12-Month Eligibility Implementation Guidance (Mgmt Bulletin 17-14)
The Head Start California/CHSSCO Partnership
Head Start California has a strong and collaborative relationship with the CHSSCO coordinating efforts to support Head Start programs in California:
- Solicit and collect information from Head Start agencies regarding their needs and challenges
- Disseminate information important to Head Start Programs
- Partner with Department of Social Services – Community Care Licensing to identify strengths and resolve licensing concerns that affect Head Start programs.
Contact the CHSSCO
Stephanie Myers, Director
Head Start State Collaboration Office
California Department of Education
1430 N Street, Suite 3410
Sacramento, CA 95814
E-mail: smyers- at-cde.ca.gov