It’s been a hectic few weeks. We did not get our $50M budget request for Head Start. Not yet! However, our Roar Back with Start campaign had some promising outcomes:
1. Over 50 agencies signed on to our budget request letter.
- 16 Statewide agencies, including Parent Voices, First 5 of California, Children Now, the California Teachers Association, and California Federation of Teachers.
- 38 providers including:
- 30 private non-profits
- 5 Community Action Programs
- 3 County Offices of Educations
2. 18 California elected officials supported our budget request, including:
- State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond
- Assembly Majority Leader Eloise Gómez Reyes
- 15 other members of the Assembly
- State Senator Monique Limon
The budget signed on Friday July 23, 2021 provides significant investments for early childhood care providers:
- The addition of 200,000 new childcare slots, starting with 120,000 childcare slots and an additional 80,000 over four years.
- Rate reform that aligns all childcare and preschool program, including school-based, to the Regional Market Rate. Rate reform will be adopted for all childcare programs and implemented in 2023.
- One-time stipends of
- $600/child enrolled in a subsidized childcare or state preschool program,
- $3,500 to all licensed family childcare home providers, and
- up to $6,000 for licensed centers (based on capacity).
- One-year waiver of family fees.
- Reimbursement based on enrollment, not attendance
It’s not over
AB 22 is still working its way through the Senate, is set for hearing in August. We are still pursuing funding support from the American Recovery Plan funds.
NHSA Fall Leadership Institute
We are gearing up for NHSA’s Fall Leadership Institute, September 20 to 23, 2021. According to NHSA, “Capitol Hill is still strict around in-person visits for security and safety, but it is expected that those restrictions should relax starting in early September.” As we get closer, we’ll provide more information about in-person and virtual Hill visits.
Browse By Category
Filter Articles by Month
Governor's Budget Falls Short of Dedicated Head Start Funding, Despite a Budget Surplus
Press Release: Child Advocacy Group Thanks Legislative Champion
Op-Ed from Leading Child Childcare Expert
California Budget Update
Press Release: Head Start California Urges Legislature and Governor to Agree on Budget that Supports Head Start Programs